Sunday, May 25, 2014

I'm not going anywhere near a cemetery on Memorial Day

If it's all the same to you, I'm going on a picnic this Memorial Day with two of my grandkids, my lovely wife, our beautiful children.

We're going up to Ogden Valley. When we're done we'll come back and go on a family bike ride. The weather should be ideal, the kids will laugh and play, as will the adults.

I'm not going anywhere near a cemetery. Won't even walk the dog through one. My parents' grave will go undecorated, at least by me.

This apparently is wrong.

I think it's nice that soldiers decorate graves of veterans on Memorial Day. The holiday has Civil War roots and is a fine tradition.

But judging by the posts I see on Social Media, that's not good enough.  I'm supposed to spend Memorial Day buying flowers to decorate the graves of my parents, who are the only immediate dead I have to deal with.

I'm supposed to spend the day remembering the dead, either soldiers or family, and being happy is frowned upon.

The posts  started last week and continue. Their number and intensity borders on nagging, and not in a nice way. It smacks of political correctness, of thought police even.What am I supposed to think of posts that say "Some soldier died for your BBQ"?

So far it's only my parents I'm seemingly ignoring on Memorial Day. More family dead will come, and when they do I'll deal with them the same way I do with my parents. If that dead is me, I want my kids to treat me the same way.

Which, to all appearances, is pretty negligent.

I get to my parents' grave, maybe, once every three or four years, and then only if I'm passing by and have time. They're in SLC, the cemetery is out of the way.

Sounds pretty cold, eh? Won't go out of the way to visit his mother's grave, even on Memorial Day.

It was interesting. When mom died 13 years ago, my sister and I were walking away from the grave and neither of us had a strong urge to go back up and spend some more time. 

"She's not there," my sister said, and she's right. Mom's still not there. Dad neither. Dead bodies are called "remains" for a reason.

Here's the thing. I don't need to buy some mums at the grocery store and let them die in a cemetery to know that I loved my parents and miss them. If I fail to fulfill someone else's expectations about how I should be showing my filial devotion, that's not my problem.

I think about my folks all the time.

Every time I wash the dishes I think about Mom. I inherited her dish drainer. It's an aluminum tray and stainless steel rack, probably almost as old as I am, but still able to hold dishes up to the air. It is impossible to look at it doing its job without thinking of where it came from.

We use mom's dishes. After mom died Carla said she only wanted one thing -- Mom's everyday dishes, lovely stoneware. "It will be like having dinner with her every day" she said at the time, and it is.

I broke one of them a few years ago. "It's all right," I heard my wife say from another room. "No, it's not," I said, and moved heaven and earth to buy a replacement.

I have my mom's fountain pen, which she used to write dozens of letters to my dad when the two of them were separated by work or events. I'm tempted to get it fixed and use it, but the nib is worn to mom's hand, it would never work for me. It sits on my desk. Every time I touch it, that's Mom.

I cook my Mom's recipes. I pick the rhubarb I stole from Mom's garden and planted in mine.

Dad is in and of me. I got his watch, his camera, his appreciation of funny poetry, his wry/sardonic sense of humor, his difficulty dealing with authority. I've got one of his bow ties I intend to learn how to tie one of these days. Dad taught me photography, gave me my first camera.

He gave me advice on many things that I use to this day. When I tell my children, "As my old pappy used to say ..." it really is something dad used to say. I got a whole column out of his sayings one year.

But still, you say, why not one day a year at the cemetery? Why use the day partying, or BBQing or bike riding? It's unseemly!

My parents didn't get lot of time with their grandchildren. By the time a couple came along Dad was sick and old beyond his years. Mom had to take care of him and grew increasing distrustful of leaving the house.  We didn't get to their home way down in Holiday as much as we'd have liked to. Busy lives, inconvenient distances, it happens.

Now they're gone.

Memorial Day is one of the few weekends that my kids have the day off and can come over and play with their children, my grandchildren, for the day. A whole day with them is a gift, a blessing.

And you want me to spend it in a cemetery?

So before you post one of those "Remember Why We Have Memorial Day!" things, ponder this:

Nobody knows the heart. You can't read what's going through someone's mind, how they think or feel, what tears at them or makes them ponder, what they've gone through, what inner sorrows they have.

And you have no business telling them how they should remember their dead, or any dead.

I think about, remember, and mourn my parents every day. Memorial Day is a day I can play with the living, so I'm going to.

If that makes me a bad person, fine.




8 comments:

  1. I come from a very large family and have little to no memorabilia of my grandparents, on either side.
    My grandmother was in incredibly inspiring person to me as a young girl and young woman. With a love of nature and living simply, she taught me to always keep kindness and love for everyone in my heart. She and our family struggled through some truly hard times, but she managed to push through them with confidence and wisdom.
    At times, when I visited during the summer, she'd take a drive with me over to a small, pioneer cemetery on our way home from running errands. We'd make our way over to a tiny grave - the place where my great-great-great grandmother had been buried. There was nothing left of her but stories from my grandmother and this tiny headstone.
    When my grandmother died when I was in high school, (I'm close to thirty, now.) I was pretty upset. She had been so special to me. Her house and farmland disappeared quickly under townhouse developments. My aunts and uncles divided up her keepsakes, photographs and memories.
    It was years before I went back and recalled that the grave of my great-great grandmother that we used to visit was nearby. I'm the only family member living closest to it, and not many remember that it's even there. In fact, the cemetery was nearly destroyed by a farmer not too long ago.
    So, when I visit it, I feel like it's not just the memories of my great-great grandmother there, but also the memories of my grandmother. And I'd want to pass that on to my own children, too. So they don't forget the tiny grave standing out in the fields or the memories of kindness and being kind to others.
    Everyone does mourn in their own way, and that is fine. But this is why Memorial Day holds a lot of meaning for me. Because it's my only connection to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy living flowers for my mom and pick them up after memorial day to plant in my yard. I prefer the mini rose bushes. Every time I go outside I get to remember her. My husband planted Almond trees in our yard for his father who is buried very far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! Very well said, and that is exactly how my family and I feel! Not big on going to the cemetery either..they are not there. But I think about my loved ones often because of things or places, I miss them, and sometimes I talk to them....but it doesn't have to be at their grave.
    Spend the day doing something you love, and something your loved ones woild enjoy seeing you do!
    Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be at the Lindquist Cemetery in Washington Heights Monday to pay my family's respects to a soldier who died in the dame ied explosion that so badly injured, and almost killed, my grandson. I will also go on the anniversary and on eteran's day. However people spend their weekend, I would hope that they give some thought to our military, past, present, and especially those fallen in battle.

    Donne Strong

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's complicated. I see families gathered at grave sites talking and laughing. Maybe the only time they get together without getting angry with each other. Or they can exhibit their membership in the club of the living. Not sure what the motivations might be. My own parents' remains are what is left after cremation. In the ground in Michigan. I always visit the graves when I am there. I don't know why. I plant marigolds for my Dad because he once said he liked them. My Mother doesn't need a flower of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a difficult time with this holiday because i cant forget any of my friends on any day let alone remember them on just one...i think you have a great outlook on the day and my friends died too young and too full of life..they are not in the ground..they may visit the cemetary from time to time but i like to think of them smiling when i hug my kids or teach them something new or with me when the sunset is just right or the sky is a brighter shade of blue...they are happiest when we are happy and milking everything out of this life that they cant anymore...grief respect and memorial is not in any one thing or action..we all pay our respects one way or another and spending time with loved ones is what they would want...happy riding

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, I really appreciate you saying it not just like it is, but like it should be. The veteran dead are used as a generic guilt trip by all those who are not actively mourning for a very specific person or group of friends. The family dead are better loved by spending more time with living family.

    ReplyDelete