Friday, August 22, 2014

Cycling With A Zeiss Super Ikonta A to Salt Lake City


So I bought this little camera on eBay and, despite it having a very slightly sticking shutter after only 76 years (which, as it turned out, didn't effect the exposure), decided to take it, and only it, on a bicycle ride to Salt Lake City from Ogden.

Only way to test a camera is test it, right? No distractions. When you have two cameras you always have the wrong one out.

So I loaded a roll of Fuji Acros (asa 100) and set out. I had 16 shots for the day.

This camera was made in 1938, and age does have an impact. The coupled rangefinder works nicely, but since it is separate from the viewfinder it is faster if you rediscover the joys of zone focusing.

The camera itself is small, easy to carry. It was a bit of a hassle, taking it out of the never-ready case each time, but I didn't want it rattling around in my bike bag with my bike lock and other junk. The left-hand shutter release takes getting used to, and oxidation of the silvering in the albada finder makes viewing a bit hard. Had to take my glasses off to see the bright frame.

Other than that, shooting went well. Here's the pictures:
Gotta do a selfie of me and the bike at the start.

On the way out of town I liked the pattern of
shadows and lines on
this grain mill with a lift out front.

Start of the trail. There's 42 miles ahead. This
is the rail trail from Ogden to SLC through
Davis County.
I liked the glowing heads of the weeds

Rail Trail marker in Layton. This is an old Denver & Rio Grande Western right of way


Trees form a canopy over parts of the trail.


3rd South and 3rd West in SLC, hot and
tired so I had lunch here. Food and air conditioning.

Picture of the lamp post to prove I'm in
Salt Lake City

Picture of a guy sleeping on the train back
FrontRunner station in SLC
Back home with the dog.

1 comment:

  1. They're not weeds! They're Teazles! Beautiful flowers followed by even more beautiful seed heads that in England anyway are much appreciated by Goldfinches...

    ;-)
    RR

    ReplyDelete