Monday, August 4, 2014

One Day, One Roll of Film, One Lens

In Ken Sanders book store.
As I've shown on recent posts, excellent results can be obtained with any camera equipment if the person holding that equipment is paying attention.

I tend to be something of a gear freak, always looking for that one piece of equipment that will make me finally, at last, really good.

It never comes along, of course. How could it? The problem is in my head, not my hands.

Bicycle Shadows
So occasionally, just to get centered, I take a day and self-assign: Shoot with one lens, one camera, one roll of film. Get back to basics, do it simple, learn to look again.

Today I took a simple small rangefinder camera (Leica CL), one roll of 36-exposure Tri-X film (rated at 1600) and one lens, a Voigtlander (actually made by Cosina) 15mm f-4.5 super-wide lens, just because I don't use it enough and need to learn to see with it more.

The meter in the camera is advisory, especially with this lens, so there's some Kentucky windage in the exposures, which adds to the fun.

Then I took the train to SLC and looked around. I ended up with 24 images worth not immediately trashing, a few of which are pretty good, a few of which are so-so, some were muffed, and one or two are worth blowing up and maybe putting in a show someday.

Not bad, all in all. This is them:

Construction Walkway

I'm amazed this place is still
there. It was a hole in the wall
when I was a kid.

Behind the Wells Fargo building

Out front of Ken Sanders, suntan in
the city.

Shadows and lines, Salt Lake Library

Bicycle dreams of flying

Ken Sanders, organized

Coffee break

Self portrait

Wall art.


At what?

Pondering 

Riding the rails
Utah Books, old bookstore, old customer








No comments:

Post a Comment